Wednesday, December 18, 2002

I have long since come to terms with my, um, atypical existence. I do watch teevee, and have been able to predict with uncanny accuracy which shows will get crappy ratings: they're the ones that I really really like. The more I like them, the higher a chance they have of being cancelled. Profit. The Brethren. American Gothic. Apparently Hollywood and the Nielsen folks could just ask me which shows to cancel right off and save themselves a bundle.

Consequently, I was devastated to find that I really really really liked Firefly, as that is the kiss of death. It's on Friday nights at 8pm, which I believe is the time that network execs reserve for shows they hate so they can cancel them in good faith when the ratings suck. This show is incredible. Even in the first season, the characters are filled-in and likeable, the actors seem comfortable in their skins, and the writing is crisp and well-paced. I don't understand why everybody doesn't like and watch the damned thing, or at least TiVo it up.

Fox has announced they won't be buying any more episodes. Game over, man. The part that irks me the most is that I'm not getting to find out why The Shepherd Book is so obviously (to everyone not on Serenity) not a shepherd and where he came from. All I can hope for now is that they'll release the episodes on DVD including the pilot (which we haven't seen yet either, dang it all).

There is a campaign forming, however, to try to convince UPN to pick up the series. Watch an episode before it's too late, and send UPN a postcard, would ya? It's important to me, if no one else.

No comments: