Thursday, January 11, 2007

Freakin' snow

Snowed again yesterday, but worse this time. I went out to my car at 4:45. Traffic didn't move enough to let me get out of my parking space until after 5:00. I didn't get out of the parking lot until about 6:00. I finally just parked my car again and called my friend Dan. Dan works at MSFT also, lives not far from us, and has a hybrid SUV with all-wheel drive. He was stuck in the same traffic about thirty cars in front of me, so it took me nearly two whole minutes to walk the distance it took him an hour or more to drive.

We rode together and talked about lots of things, mostly work-related, while waiting to get out onto the road to see how things were going. As it turns out, most of the trouble was people driving little lightweight front wheel drive cars. Those vehicles are just not the right gear to drive uphill in icy conditions. Once we got enough room to maneuver around them, we just drove right on home.

If this FREAKING GLOBAL WARMING THAT AL GORE KEEPS PROMISING ME keeps up, I'm going to have to trade in my Audi A4 for a hybrid SUV myself. Not because I'm all green and saving the planet and what-not, but so I'll have a super-heavy all-wheel drive vehicle for making my way home through all the snow.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Today we're still snowed in, so I'm having to work from home. That, working from home, was an entirely unforseen benefit of working at MSFT. When AL GORE'S LONG-PROMISED GLOBAL WARMING gets you snowed in at home, you can still get some work done instead of having to take valuable vacation days. Woo hoo!

No comments: