Friday, January 05, 2007

[insert spit-take here]

My current priority work is a piece of technical writing required under the DOJ consent decree. As you might imagine from that lead-in, it really is first priority, and e'body is serious about having my (and the other people writing other docs) attention focused on it.

I finished up my first draft and sent it off to the appropriate Architect for review. From now until the document is due, I'll be in draft-review-edit cycles. I know that my v-team 1 is above the glide path with open bugs we're trying to resolve before beta 3 escrow. I know the dev lead is busting his ass trying to resolve his bugs plus get some of the SWI bugs punted to a later release. I know the other guys on the v-team are overbooked and working hard to get the bugs resolved.

So, I decided, in a fit of rampant stupidity, to volunteer to take a bug or two to work on during my spare cycles. "Hey," I said to myself, "I'm just being a good team member."

I came in this morning to find myself the proud new owner of 47 bugs. 47 BUGS. (Update: A handful got reassigned so now I only have 19 bugs. Yay me! Woo hoo! Looks like I'll be going home early after all.)

No good deed goes unpunished, right?

At least I'll get a "Ship It!" award this time.





1 A v-team, or virtual team, is a team drawn from the pool of personnel to work on a particular project but not permanently re-organized into a group. My v-team dev lead won't conduct my HR review, for example, but my "real" dev lead will.

No comments: